Did you ever
Then, CocoaBasic seems to be the right decision.
- want to write programs that look and operate like other MacOS X applications?
- hesitate to get hands on the 250MBytes of the Project Builder and learn Objective C?
- have the experience of simplified object oriented BASIC programming?
CocoaBasic is an Interactive software Development Environment for using the Cocoa Framework
in an object oriented Basic Dialect.
To learn about Cocoa we recomment: "Learning Cocoa, O'Reilly, 2100, ISBN 0-596-00160-6". The Basic Dialect resembles REALbasic but is not source code compatible: "REALbasic, O'Reilly, 2100, ISBN 0-596-00160-6".
The initial alpha releases already show most main principles but are freeware. The final releases of CocoaBasic will be shareware but still provide some limited (demo) functionality for free.
Features of CocoaBasic
#) not yet available in this release
- Easy to learn Object Oriented Basic Language
- Full integration with the Cocoa Framework with useful extensions provided (e.g. sorted tables)
- Integrated Code and Interface Editor, Compiler, Debugger
- Integrated Editors for: Source Code (syntax aware), Instances, Windows# and Views# Menus#, Helpfiles, Icons#, Sounds#, File Types
- Plugin and Resource File support
- Generates native multi-language NIB-based Cocoa Applications
- Full international language support for compiled applications#
- Requires MaxOS X 10.2 or later
Download the most recent version from http://www.dsitri.de/download
- Simply open the disk image and copy the CocoaBasic application where you like
- For a list of new features, please look at the README.rtf file in the package.
Wishlist for more Features
- [Doc] provide working "Hello World" example
- [BasicCompiler] provide working Compiler & Runtime execution (still much work!)
- [IDE] hierarchical Class List browser
- [IDE] Find & Replace
- [IDE] Export to Project Builder, i.e. generate ObjC-Code, NIB-Files and .pbproj
- [IDE] Import NIB files
- [IDE] syntax auto-extension (not yet on high priority)
- [IDE] syntax highlight of basic syntax errors: unmatched ", (, ), for w/o next, operator w/o left/right operand etc.
- [IDE] handle Outlet/Action attributes (really required?)
- [IDE] provide Property Editor for internal resources with plist format and/or instance variable initialization
- [IDE] should also allow to filter methods, class methods and instance variables in property editor
- [IDE] should allow to filter internal properties and handle getter/setter methods like instance variables
- [IDE] has no Undo/Redo command yet
- [IDE] improve international language support
- [other] improve launch speed (!!)
- [WEB] handle Feature Requests and Bug Reports (i.e. provide WEB-based page)
As this is alpha software, your comments on this project are greatly appreciated to:
This release is an experiment (or demo) to show core functionality. The software can not be used for any reasonable task yet. It is distributed according to the basic policy of DSITRI to let potential users participate in and form the development process by commenting early stages. Therefore this release is Freeware but the right is reserved to changes this for later releases.
The author makes no express or implied warranty or representation of any kind with respect to this software, including any warranty that it is defect-free. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IS HEREBY DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT WILL THE AFOREMENTIONED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE. The parties are under no obligation to provide any services, by way of maintenance, update, or otherwise.
Any and all trademarks mentioned belong to their respective owners. They are used in this document only for reference/descriptive purposes.
©The Copyright is by H. N. Schaller, Munich, Germany, 2001-2002.
All Rights are Reserved. - last change: 2002 Nov 14