Anton Maslovsky just sent me a mail with a description and agreed to put it up here (Thanks!!!):
Below are instructions on how to build latest hostap drivers for Zaurus. The main challenge is that version 2.x and
higher require at least Wireless Extentions 15, which means you'll have to patch, build and then flash an updated
kernel. Also you'll need to replace some system libraries utilities and pcmcia configuration files. This all comes to be
a complicated process, but there is no easy way of doing that...
1. Setup cross-compilation environment on your Linux box. Follow instructions here:
http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules. ... er%20Setup
2. Download kernel source: http://developer.ezaurus.com/sl_j/sourc ... 10.tar.bz2
3. Select proper configuration based on your Z model (arm/arch/def-configs/sl5500up for 5500 US model)
4. Flash this new kernel to make sure your build process works fine
5. Patch kernel with Wireless Extentions 15. You'll need the following patches: iw_handlers.w13-5.diff,
iw_handlers.w14-5.diff, iw240_we15-6.diff. Apply them one on top of another. One of the places to get them is
http://openembedded.bkbits.net:8080/pac ... ex.html|sr
6. Build the patched kernel.
7. Get 0.2.4 version of hostap drivers (http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/hosta ... 2.4.tar.gz
. Patch kernel with hostap-linux-2.4.20.patch. I don't know if sandisk patch has been included
in this hostap version. If not, then apply the attached patch too.
8. Get and apply list_move patch for 2.4.18 kernel
(http://openembedded.bkbits.net:8080/pac ... /.|src/lin
ux|src/linux/files). Whithout this patch hostap drivers won't compile.
9. Make sure that hostap drivers are selected in your kernel configuration, build the kernel.
10. Build hostap utils (http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/hosta ... 2.4.tar.gz
) and wireless tools
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tou ... Tools.html
11. Flash your new kernel, copy wireless tools, hostap util and modules (if not compiled into the kernel) to Zaurus.
12. Copy hostap_cs.conf to /etc/pcmcia directory on your Zaurus. Then copy /etc/pcmcia/spectrum to /etc/pcmcia/hostap.
Also copy attached wlng2wt.ops into /etc/pcmcia. Rename wlan-ng.conf to .wlan-ng.conf in /etc/pcmcia. Finally restart
pcmcia (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart)
If all went well, then your NON-sandisk card should be recognized and hostap modules loaded. You should be able to use
Network Configuration app to setup network. Sandisk card will not work because the patch does not seem to be complete...
I hope this helps.