Requirements to check before starting installation
• the myPDA-Zaurus-Edition package
• a Sharp Zaurus (we have tested with 5500G) with ROM 3.10
If you do not have the ROM 3.10, please flash it before installation. Please note that this ROM is in English language only. Therefore, all menus and user interaction by Qtopia is in English and national keyboard tables are not provided. This will mangle up the keyboard a little (e.g. swap Y and Z keys for the SL-5500G).
• Enough (80%) free Internal Memory (myPDA won’t install on CF/SD from scratch unless you reformat the SD/CF card to a UNIX file system)
• a MacOS X (or Linux) machine with USB or WLAN
• a working USB or WLAN connection from the Mac to the Zaurus with FTP and/or SMB
The AJZaurusUSB driver for MacOS 10.3 is included in this package in the section Install on MacOS X for your convenience. Please follow the instruction found at http://www.lucid-cake.net and read the notes which also describe how to set up SMB.
• a MMC/SD card (optional) which is formatted to use long file names, symbolic links and distinguishing upper and lower case
1. flash the Zaurus ROM if needed and install the USB or WLAN connection
2. copy all .ipk files in Install on Zaurus/Sharp ROM 3.10 to the Zaurus (using FTP or SMB)
3. open Add/Remove Software in the Settings
4. install myPDA.ipk first to Internal Memory
5. install mySTEP.ipk second to Internal Memory
6. install myApps.ipk last to Internal Memory (note: the order is important for memory capacity constraints during the installation process)
7. close the Installer
8. After installation, the myPDA icon appears in the Settings tab of the Sharp Operating System. Tap and hold this icon until the Details screen appears.
9. Make sure to cross the "Execute with root privileges (not secure)" box (note: this will appear to be lost when opening again - but it needs to be done only once). Close the Details screen with Ok.
Note: you do not have to install the mySTEP-SDK and mySTEP-src files. They are needed only if you want to write applications.
Start myPDA by tapping the myPDA icon in the Settings tab. On the first run, you have to calibrate the touchscreen (because myPDA uses a separate X11 display driver). After a while, the System Menu Bar appears.
<tr><th>Possible reasons </th><th> Solution</th></tr>
<tr><td>not enough free memory </td><td> delete other .ipks from Internal Memory and move to SD/CF card</td></tr>
<tr><td>connection is broken </td><td> make sure that USB/WLAN works</td></tr>
<tr><td>incompatibility of your Zaurus model </td><td>please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org</td></tr>
<tr><td>Zarurus does not have ROM 3.10 </td><td> check in the System Profile in the Settings tab and flash ROM 3.10</td></tr>
<tr><td>not launched with root privileges </td><td> change the Details screen (only ROM 3.10)</td></tr>